A Man Dies When A Subway Rider In New York City Chokes Him During A Train Altercation

According to authorities and a witness, a man in New York City’s subway died after being placed in a chokehold for almost 15 minutes following an altercation on the train.

The event occurred Monday at 2:27 p.m. on a northbound F train, and it was partially recorded on smartphone footage.

According to a statement released by New York police on Wednesday, the 30-year-old man was found unresponsive by responding officers at the Broadway and East Houston Street subway station. He was then transferred to a hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

According to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in New York City, the deceased individual died from “compression of neck (chokehold)” and was killed.

The individual was recognized as Jordan Neely, a busker who performed dance routines while dressed as Michael Jackson, by Manhattan Borough President Mark Levine.

Levine stated, “Our dysfunctional mental health system failed him. He deserved assistance, not to suffocate to death on the subway floor.

The 24-year-old rider was detained for interrogation before being released, according to the police. He has not been named in the media.

Although no charges have been brought, the Manhattan district attorney’s office said an investigation is being conducted.

According to DA’s office spokesperson Doug Cohen, “as part of our thorough ongoing investigation, we will review the Medical Examiner’s report, evaluate all available video and photo footage, identify and interview as many witnesses as we can, and obtain additional medical records.”

Read More:

On the subway, Juan Alberto Vazquez reported the hostile behavior of the 30-year-old man to NBC New York.

“The man got on the subway car and began to say a somewhat aggressive speech, saying he was hungry, he was thirsty, that he didn’t care about anything, he didn’t care about going to jail, he didn’t care that he gets a big life sentence,” Vazquez said to the station in Spanish. “That it wouldn’t even matter if I passed away.”

Vazquez photographed portions of the incident. The 24-year-old was shown on the ground appearing to put the man in a chokehold while two other subway riders assisted in holding him down in the footage, which was obtained by NBC New York.

The chokehold, according to Vazquez, continued for around 15 minutes. He said to the station that even after the man went limp, no one anticipated his death.

Few details have been made public by the authorities. According to a police spokesman, cops were summoned to the station after receiving a 911 call reporting a violent altercation.

The 24-year-old guy and the 30-year-old were engaged in a verbal argument that turned physical, according to further investigation, the representative said over the phone. “The 30-year-old male lost consciousness during the two men’s physical struggle.”

The investigation, according to the police force and the Manhattan district attorney’s office, is still ongoing. An inquiry for comment on Wednesday was not immediately answered by the medical examiner’s office.

You can bookmark our website, Poptopnews.com  for more related articles and the latest updates.

Scroll to Top